Bubble update

Peter Kilander peterk at enteract.com
Wed Jan 6 21:39:24 PST 1999

In today's NYT, a headline on page C2 reads "Economists" - at the American Economic Association annual conference - "Reject Notion Of Stock Market 'Bubble'".

Any economist who uses the phrase "Natural Rate of Unemployment" should be spanked!
>From the article: "This time, inflation has not risen, as it so often did in
the past, particularly when the unemployment rate dropped belwo 5.5 percent. It is now 4.4 percent. And the reasons? Considerable credit went to "lucky shocks," as Alan Blinder of Princeton University phrased it - falling oil prices, for example, falling import prices, smaller-than-expected increases in health care costs and ever sharper declines in computer prices. "There is absolutely no reason to predict that these favorable supply shocks will continue over the next year or two," said James Stock of Harvard."