europhobia

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Wed Jan 6 23:57:14 PST 1999

At 22:13 06/01/99 -0800, you wrote:

<>

>Another way of looking at London is that through deregulation, London is
in fact
>an America financial outpost for Europe and Russia and also for East Asia.
>One of the unspoken reason the Japanese adamantly refuse to liberalized
the Tokyo
>financial markets is that they do not wish to have Tokyo turn into a
London of the
>East, dominated by American capital. Unruly members in the Diet have
raised this
>issue countless time in debates which the official Japanese press usually
plays
>down for fear of upsetting Washington.
>
>Henry C.K. Liu

I think this sort of analysis is important for understanding the exact nature of inter-imperialist rivalry. I see no probabilities of this turning into war between the major imperialist blocs, and to apply Lenin mechanically and dogmatically without looking at changed concrete conditions, I submit is un-Leninist.

True there is skirmishing developing about who acts with or without consultation as gendarme of the world order and there are most certainly wars. On the other hand although there is massive interpenetration of capital, there are still contradictions between different imperialisms. US hegemony with its convenient ideology of economic neo-liberalism, has received a set back in the last year, but is by no means defeated. Even though things will get smoothed over in many compromises there is still a lot that is going to get fought over in 1999 under the cover of coded diplomatic language.