europhobia

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 6 22:13:38 PST 1999

Another highly significant advantage of London over Frankfurt and Paris is that the legacy of the established financial/legal structure dating back to two centuries of the British Empire which laid the foundation of modern finance. Much of cross border finance in globalization today is executed under British law. And English is the global banking language. Every international banker, being he/she French, German, Italian, Spanish, Mexican, Japanese, Chinese, Indonesian etc, speaks fluent English. The most important finance centers in Asia, Singapore and Hong Kong, are both former British colonies. This also explains why so much foreign exchange and structured finance/derivatives, bonds and debt instruments trading take place in London. Every major American law firm has a sizable London office and British American mergers in the law profession has been commonplace since the big bang. Of course, American finanial institutions own half of the City. Another way of looking at London is that through deregulation, London is in fact an America financial outpost for Europe and Russia and also for East Asia. One of the unspoken reason the Japanese adamantly refuse to liberalized the Tokyo financial markets is that they do not wish to have Tokyo turn into a London of the East, dominated by American capital. Unruly members in the Diet have raised this issue countless time in debates which the official Japanese press usually plays down for fear of upsetting Washington.

Henry C.K. Liu