Prisons

Carrol Cox cbcox at mail.ilstu.edu
Thu Jan 7 07:16:52 PST 1999

pms wrote:

> Carrol, does consensual mean uncontested,ie, no appeals are made by the
> prisoner?

Yes.

> Do you think it's cause it's really...

I don't know -- which is the reason I quoted directly rather than paraphrasing. In his article Linebaugh discusses two quite fascinating novels (by African Americans) dealing with the death penalty, and that discussion is illuminating on this question. I again urge people to look up the article. (Gruesome Gerty is prison slang for the electric chair.)

Carrol