How the United States spies on us all

C. Petersen ottilie at u.washington.edu
Thu Jan 7 13:39:19 PST 1999

> Hey, when you're the NSA, you don't have to sub to a list to read its
> traffic. And this message isn't even about terrorism.
>
> Years ago, a friend of a friend of mine who made a film about surveillance
> for HBO told me that the NSA's computers are programmed to tap any phone
> conversation containing the word "Israel." I bet they do the same for
> emails containing the word Saddam now too. Wonder how many spelling
> variants of the Libyan leader's name they recognize?

But where do they have huge rooms of people sitting around listening to conversations and reading people's boring email in search of anything useful. In East Germany, there was a whole large employment category of workers whose job was to guard or spy on other people - does the NSA and FBI etc. have thousands of employees?