How the United States spies on us all

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jan 7 07:09:26 PST 1999

James Baird wrote:
>I wonder which agency is responsible for archiving and reviewing lists
>like LBO. The electronic nature of the medium suggests the NSA, but
>monitoring internal subversion is more the bailiwick of the FBI. Maybe
>both? Any suspicious-looking email addresses among the lurkers, Doug?

Hey, when you're the NSA, you don't have to sub to a list to read its traffic. And this message isn't even about terrorism.

Years ago, a friend of a friend of mine who made a film about surveillance for HBO told me that the NSA's computers are programmed to tap any phone conversation containing the word "Israel." I bet they do the same for emails containing the word Saddam now too. Wonder how many spelling variants of the Libyan leader's name they recognize?

Doug