Oakland highlights

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Fri Jan 8 07:25:38 PST 1999

> . . .
> This morning at work, we were joking around about the Senate and one
> of the black guys re-told a joke from a young black comedian (can't
> remember his name), that Clinton was being impeached because he was

Chris Rock. Very funny guy on current events, among other things. Joke went something like this, obviously funnier when he tells it --

'Clinton is broke, got legal troubles, problems with girlfriends, fights with his wife, eats junk food -- he has real people problems -- just like black people. I AM BILL CLINTON.'

Also at one point before the House Judiciary cttee voted for impeachment, Rock made light of their invocation of the founding fathers, noting that the latter were all 'fucking their slaves.'

> . .
> No, boys and girls Clinton isn't black to the black community. Clinton
> is black to a white community. . . .

One might also say that Clinton's behavior is understood as 'black' whereas it is really working class, and this is reconstructed as 'black' to avoid the generalizing implications . . .

This is not to say that Clinton's life style is exclusive to or especially pervasive among the working class, only that acknowledgement of its commonality (beyond minorities) is suppressed.

Explaining this better sounds like a job for the POMO's. If only they spoke English.

mbs