The Death of Neo-Liberalism (was Re: Sebastian Edwards)

Rob Schaap rws at comserver.canberra.edu.au
Sat Jan 9 12:44:28 PST 1999

G'day Brad,

Point one is neatly taken up by Paula. The MAI is an attempt to recognise point 2, but it offered only exacerbated uneven development and dependency - certainly not optimal allocation.

Point 2 is recognised, I suppose, in the US pre-emptive bullying of the UN, its rigid control of WIPO and its betrayal of UNESCO.

And the third speaks loudly to an institutionalist perspective. And I don't see room for any institutionalism in neoliberalism. The former throws the latter's price theory out the window for a start, doesn't it?

There's not much neoliberalism left after that, surely?

Cheers, Rob.