Stuck outside of Mobile, with the Memphis blues again.

pms laflame at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 10 06:31:49 PST 1999

>AMAZON & BLODGET.... So remember when this analyst,
>Blodget from Oppenheimer, said that Amazon was going to
>hit $400 a share, and everyone laughed at him? That was
>what 10 days ago!!!! Well the stock was up $13.50, to
>$138, and so split-adjusted (three for one) it closed
>at $414!! It now has a $20-billion market cap. Time to
>up the ante, Blodget!! And the company has never made a
>penny!!

Greetings lbo-sters,

I'm not even going to start with Louis about what is wrong with that paragraph of Gitlan's. I'm just a naive fool I guess. I'll forget all those black cooks, and drivers, and busboys I work with who really need child care and health insurance, and are really too busy trying to survive, overcome depression and dodge the bosses tantrums, along with the white employees, to hate whites.(Whites still seem to have more time for such animosities.)

And I'm not going to tell Carrol to do deep breathing meditation or something. Like, chill, honey.

Nope. The house and yard beckon. And I myself am looking for some useful skills training.

But I couldn't resist posting this, from the Street. This madness is going to have consequences far beyond some idiots losing money, I think.

What will The Big Cigars do to sustain this market. And worse, what will they do and who will they blame when the bubble bursts?

Don't know much about history, but I think that if we peer into this Amazon valuation, we will see disasterous times for folks who don't know a modem from a shiatsu massage.

$414 a share for a company that basically disappears when the lights go out!

I think if I was as smart as a Robert Rubin, i could have seen this coming for a long time now, so how much, and for how long, have seemingly unrelated events, been pre-emptive responses to the market chaos to come?

Stunned by the incredible weirdness of being, Paula

ps. thanks C.G. and Chris, for the interesting clues to the homana, homana, homana thing. How intrigueing. Always forget that folks back then knew a lot. I know I read Troilus and Cresidda, but I'm sure the teacher didn't make any impications that were this cool.

Quakers, credentialism, The Commons, Chaos, Donny Hathaway was right, Everything IS Everything. To think that way back then they were talking about the thing that is embedded in human souls that poisons all political systems. I call it the Original Wound.

pps. I'm awarding Paul the Tribal Echoes award for best lyrics for-

"The ants are my friends, they're blowing in the wind"

which really cracks me up.

Wkiernen wins the award, in abstentia, for the best lyrics that were better than the original.