Stuck outside of Mobile, with the Memphis blues again.

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Jan 10 11:12:48 PST 1999

pms wrote:

>I'm not even going to start with Louis about what is wrong with that
>paragraph of Gitlan's. I'm just a naive fool I guess. I'll forget all
>those black cooks, and drivers, and busboys I work with who really need
>child care and health insurance, and are really too busy trying to survive,
>overcome depression and dodge the bosses tantrums, along with the white
>employees, to hate whites.(Whites still seem to have more time for such
>animosities.)

The problem with Gitlin, and Tomasky, and all the class-not-race people is that racism exists, and while it's certainly developed and sustained around "class" issues, it has a life of its own (a phrase that Rakesh told me he can't stand, but there it is, sorry). There's no good in denying it. Yes, there's positive value in pushing for a "class" agenda, and it would probably help soften the virulence of racism, but still, the white worker is going to be a lot less likely to get stopped/beaten/shot by a cop when driving home from the office or plant than the black worker.

>$414 a share for a company that basically disappears when the lights go out!

Today's NYT has a chart showing that America Online has a market capitalization greater than GM's, and Yahoo's is roughly equal to Boeing's. It's one of the greatest speculative bubbles in market history. Art Cashin, director of NYSE floor operations for PaineWebber, called it Tulip.com on CNBC the other day.

Doug