heat and light

Eric V. Kirk kirk at humboldt.net
Sun Jan 10 19:53:37 PST 1999

Doug:

If this is going to turn into a "racism v. free speech" debate, I would opt for free speech regardless of any threats to "make a scene." If Rakesh is deeply offended by Carrol's comments, he can take her to task himself. But the speed to which some of us rush to censorship of banishment to Siberia to someone who let's slip some part of the racism that is a part of all of us never ceases to amaze and depress me.

I agree that the comment about being "politically white" reflects a cavalier attitude that can only result from racism, but it's not like the rest of us can throw stones.

I'm sure Rakesh can take care of himself in this matter.

Yours,

Eric