Heat and Light and Civility

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Sun Jan 10 20:39:56 PST 1999

Before people get the idea that it was Rakesh who talked to Doug, I want to make clear it was myself. I asked Doug that Carroll be issued a warning and asked to apologize. Otherwise, I noted that if there were no rules of civility on this list that would be enforced, I would begin returning fire with fire.

I have watched young activists physically assaulted by white Marxist sectarians like Carroll who claimed those activists (of color) were insufficiently radical and thus did not deserve civility or basic human regard. Carroll has boasted of participating in the blowup of other email lists and this seems part of the pattern. The lack of civility on the left is one of its greatest embarassments after the last two decades of sectarian nastiness.

If the majority of this list feels it is censorship for Doug to enforce some basic rules of civility, then that is the decision of the list and I will regretfully find another list where personally hateful speech is not sanctioned. On the other hand, I hope there is a majority that can distinguish between civility in manner versus free discussion of issues.

--Nathan Newman