Tom Metzger

/ dave / arouet at winternet.com
Wed Jan 13 20:08:18 PST 1999

Frances Bolton (PHI) wrote:

> illegitimate child. I didn't listen to the interview. When the phone was
> ringing I had this moment of intense fear that Tom Metzger would answer
> the phone. He didn't.

How about that voice, huh?

About fifteen years ago, Rolling Stone profiled the Metzger clan and there was a wide-angle photo of the elder Tom standing next to his son with the predictable fearsome-looking canine standing at the ready. They were positioned out in front of their appliance sales/repair shop in Calif. ("Fallbrook TV", I think - sounds like a sitcom) and there was a billboard in the back of the shot from which I could just make out the phone number of the establishment. Naturally I had to pick up the phone and give it a try, and guess who answered? I'd like to think that I'd have something to say to him if I called today (would it matter?), but at the time, having already become familiar with the voice and the "message" from the recorded hotline, I was left more-or-less speechless by the all-too-real manifestation of evil personified on the other end, even under the "friendly" guise of a humble TV repairman or whatever he was.

Seems to me I mentioned the above on the Bad list a few years ago. BTW, where's Kelley? Has she finished moving or whatever she was up to? I have nothing of substance to contribute to the Butler discussion at this point, but it struck me that the idea of the power structure bringing the subject into being, i.e. conscious of its subjectivity and/or subjection, sort of paralleled what someone said on the list a few days back about communities (theoretical or otherwise), arising out of necessity as a response to the workings of power. Does this tie in with the nationalism thread as well?

BTW, it seems they've banned Furbies at the National Security Agency. I can forward the cite if anyone's interested.

--

/ dave /