What "Black Nationalism Debates" Do to Us (was Re: Trotsky, fascism, black nationalism etc)

Sat Jan 16 12:07:12 PST 1999

Ken Warren's argument, referred to by Adolph Reed, needs to be elaborated. Yoshie, what do you understand by it? It seems to me in this debate which may have indeed been "staged" the anti semitism of the NOI was not at all the focus but its separatism, class agenda, utopianism and anti feminism. It is of course obnoxious that some only see the anti semitism of the NOI, not its many other problems. Anyways, the debate began with Daniel V's over the top pomo embrace of the NOI as a relatively progressive organization on matters of race/racism and less so class/capital. That struck me as quite pernicious.

I also don't see how a criticism of the NOI's anti semitism is ipso facto a demand for moral rectitude from blacks. Indeed that was the NOI's own demand--that black men atone for themselves. Anyways, black men don't have anything to apologize to this nation for. Nor do I see how such criticism implies marginalisation of blacks from the polity. Indeed it was the NOI that mobilized the first march in washington in which the participants were asked to protest themselves, rather than make demands on the polity. If these are the concerns, then the delegitimation of the NOI should be high on the list.

Of course there is a straight line from the belief in the manipulation of the world by unseen forces (the X files is now filling the role of anti semitism but the latter is always lurking) to an immature resignation from active participation in a world which cannot be understood or controlled; and there is a straight line from scapegoating small ethnic shopkeepers to riotous destruction of small shops. That is, anti semitism is itself the cause of depoliticization, not so much the censure of anti semitism as Warren seems to be arguing. The more it is rooted out, the more rational action becomes possible.

But I certainly agree that all blacks should not be made to take the heat for the NOI's anti semitism; what could be more absurd since blacks didn't vote Farakhan into power. It is also absurd to think blacks are more anti semitic than any other group. Are there any comparative ethnic rankings on the F scale? Remember Adorno et al found that those best assimilated into the American way of life showed great proclivity to authoritarianism, fascism and anti semitism. Blacks may indeed among the least susceptible.

By the way, what could be clearer that anti semitism in American culture has none of the virulence today of anti black racism. We still have well received nasty books on the race question such as those review by Philip Klinker in a recent Nation. And I can't even understand the framework in which one could make a judgement such that anti semitism by unaccountable black leaders neutralizes the racism to which all blacks are subjected. This is simply a non sequitar of the sort that plagues thinking about race.

Of course Farakhan's anti semitism is all the more laughable because he would like nothing more to have the power over US politics he fantastically attributes to the Zionist lobby.

Also, I don't think one can blame jews or ethnic shopkeepers who will more likely be the victims of this wrath for their fears. Farakhan says the most vicious, taunting things about those blood suckers. It is simply unacceptable but Barbara Walters seemed willing to accept it in her interview with Louis X. Moreover, anti semitism undermines any rational understanding of history from the slave trade to the integration movement to contemporary foreign policy esp in the middle east to the stock market. That is, it threatens to undermine the possibility of people acting rationally in the world on their own behalf. In contemporary America, anti semitism may actually do the greatest harm to those who subscribe to it, rather than jews themselves. Jews of course don't even have to present for anti semitism to take off--isn't that why Kalecki had to leave the Polish Communist Party in the late 60s. I would hope that this would be among the reasons why people would never take anti semitism lightly.

Yours, Rakesh