The anthropic principle & Rakesh

Carrol Cox cbcox at mail.ilstu.edu
Sat Jan 16 18:24:43 PST 1999

Daniel wrote:

> Carrol wrore: ".. a privilege many of
> us born in the 20th century have - that (to turn a phase of Milton's inside
> out) of being atheists by birthright more than merit..."
>
> Carrol, if I understand you correctly, it seems to me you haven't turned
> Milton inside out at all. But, I must not understand you. Do you mean that the
> materialist premise is in some way true on a level that is unique, i.e. not
> requiring proof?
>
> Quincy

Isn't that what we mean by a premise? A starting point? Every academic heart seems to be wrenched by a deadly fear of not being original, of not being independent, autonomous, of not having tested every tiny bit of human knowledge gained through over a 100,000 years of struggle. Everyone must start all over from the beginning lest, horror of horrors, one stands accused of orthodoxy, of linear thinking, of inheriting one's knowledge. I simply claim that I have inherited some things. Atheism is one of them. I don't have to endlessly reclaim it by my own individualistic merit.

Carrol