Weimar Russia

Sat Jan 16 15:04:34 PST 1999

>Dear Brad,
>
>I'm sure that there are many Americans of Russian-Slav decedent who would
>like
>to take a crack at helping Russia. You might not be able to get high toned
>academics with big credentials---even though they do exist---is that what
>Russian American relations need anyway. How about some plain, honest people
>who are literate and numerate and could be understood by the Russians.

This is what Soros was trying to fund, no?

I would love to spend $40 million a year sending 10,000 (or, allowing for bureaucratic inefficiency, 5,000) Russian-speaking Americans of Russian descent to Russia each year to be useful...

After spending $4 trillion preparing to defend ourselves against the Russians over the past fifty years, the least we could do would be to spend ten (or even one) percent of that on programs to make the Russians democratic, prosperous, and happy...

Brad DeLong