White privilege

John B Kelly JBryan at world.std.com
Wed Jan 20 18:07:38 PST 1999

I found WK's post excellent. What I think about is how many jobs are just out of the question for Blacks. My brother got his big break by getting a job running routes for a wine distributor in Chattanooga, TN. Heard about it thru a frat brother (very big in the South). Altho I'm not certain, I doubt there were any Blacks, or signif. #s of Blacks, in good ol' Sigma Chi at UT Chat. It seems inconceivable that a Black man (or probably ANY woman) could ever get hired for this job, where the distributor is dependent on liquor store owners who may very well be racist (that is, even if the distributor would welcome a Black salesman, it really might be against their profit motive to follow up on it).

Another thing is that significant numbers of whites still have assets which were originally created by enslaved labor. My grandmother helped support my family thru (Middle-class style) tough times with money she inherited from her big-time old South plantation owning family. This money helped give us grandchildren certain opportunities.

John