LBO: Soc Sec "saving"

John B Kelly JBryan at world.std.com
Wed Jan 20 18:19:32 PST 1999

Just finished reading DH's latest, which is fascinating and depressing. I have two questions:

Is that low 1.4% growth rate postulated by the SS actuaries the same rate others use in THEIR predictions, as in, is this the accepted future growth rate across the board? Are Clinton's predicted surpluses based on the same figure?

When did this "crisis" actually start? Has anyone done a critical analysis of the genesis and eventual success of this campaign? I remember seeing the explanation of "why" there was a crisis, and thinking "What a joke! Since when do we worry about possible disasters 35 years away?" But the media diligently present the causes and predictions w/ all due seriousness. I guess those brokers need more $, you know, so they can like "create wealth."

I wanted to puke when I saw Bonior and Gep line up behind the plan today. And that savings plan was pure Republican. Yeah right, the gov will match your savings, or whatever. Ugggh.

John