Butler's intro

Alec Ramsdell a_ramsdell at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 21 13:11:44 PST 1999

---rc&am <rcollins at netlink.com.au> wrote:

> some time back, doug wrote (among other stuff):
>

> > Mentioning institutions of state and capital point to a lack in
all of
> > Butler's writing - an almost complete silence on issues of money and
> > property (both of which grant privileged access to state power).
>
> in the intro, the subject emerges thus: the subject is dependant
for its
> very existence - as a subject - on power. (i am not entirely sure
how to read
> the stuff on melancholia (is it loss? and, loss of what?, but
clearly that is
> important to the argument, but i'll leave it for now)

I haven't had internet access pretty much at all for the past two weeks, so I'm catching up on a lot, and, unfortunately, deleting a lot as well. I think I can find some time this weekend for a post on ch. 6 where, among other things, Butler differentiates and critiques the ontological foundations of melancholia and mourning.

Dang, break's over . . .

Later,