bitchy asides...

pms laflame at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 21 17:17:30 PST 1999

At 01:10 PM 1/21/99 -0500, you wrote:
>From today's WSJ:
>
><quote>
>When Rep. William Jefferson (D., La.) asked what sort of actions he had in
>mind, Mr. Greenspan startled some committee members by urging them not only
>to reject Mr. Clinton's proposal to lift the minimum wage by $1 to $6.15 an
>hour, but to lower or repeal the minimum wage. "I think it does more damage
>than good," said Mr. Greenspan, who earns $133,600 a year, "but I recognize
>I'm in a significant minority on that question."
></quote>
>
>$133,600 is about 12 times a minimum wage earner's annual full-time take.
>
>Doug

Really, within the context of actual existing neo-liberal US, Allie is probably right. Without a minimum wage, we might still have strong manufacturing and textile sectors. The jobs would pay less, but who knows, it might also raise wages in the service sector. I'm assumeing a lot of those lost manufacturing jobs were union jobs, so the unions could be stronger than they are now. The law of unintended consequences might just surprise.

Now Doug, I don't think anyone is going to begrudge Father Alan $133,000/yr. (ceptin' us chickens). In fact, we should use this well known god's salary when pointing out the obsenity of some CEO salaries and the various ways they avoid paying "their fair share" back to society.

Just a thought-p