homophobia

Lucky Pierre j-harsin at nwu.edu
Fri Jan 22 09:13:39 PST 1999

Doug et al: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading something awhile back about Deirdre in which the "sex change" was framed as symbolic intervention: she thought she must carry the symbolic power of male gender in her author line to negotiate the preconceptions of a "male-dominated" academic field (history of economics and rhetoric--she was affiliated with the history dept. at U. of Iowa). She never went under the knife for the change. Jayson

>In economics, there was the celebrated case of Donald McCloskey, who became
>Deirdre. I defer to the economists on the list to evaluate his/her level in
>the profession.
>
>Doug

-- jayson perry harsin Dept. of Communication Studies Northwestern University j-harsin at nwu.edu (773)508-4062 WNUR's Southbound Train 89.3 fm Sundays 9:00-11:00 p.m. (listen on the Net at www.wnur.org)

http://www.wnur.org/southbound/ Who are you indeed who would talk

or sing to America? Have you studied out the land,

its idioms and men[sic]?--Walt Whitman