Dick Armey

John K. Taber jktaber at onramp.net
Fri Jan 22 19:23:38 PST 1999

Henry Liu said:

>Max, don't sell Armey short. There is a lot of Texas populism in him that
>labor should exploit. His disdain for Wall Street and Eastern liberals and
>big business (even big oil) can work to labor's advantage.
>The left must unite all who can be united.

I live in Armey's district, and I disagree. You may be confusing him with Henry Gonzalez.

There is no Texas populism in him so far as I can see.

He's a Southern conservative even though he emigrated here from North Dakota. He does love to badmouth Eastern lib'ruls, but that does not mean populism. He is a Southern secessionist. I'm not personally aware of Armey badmouthing Wall Street, but that is consistent with Southern secessionism. A lot of Clinton hatred is rooted in Southern disloyalty to the United States. While they consider themselves to be the "real" Americans, they do not feel themselves to be part of the United States. Their anti-government stance is actually anti-Union.

Nothing really has changed.

In my humble opinion, of course.

-- Homines id quod volunt credunt.