SS not an investment plan?

Paul Henry Rosenberg rad at gte.net
Sat Jan 23 10:25:21 PST 1999

Tom Lehman wrote:

> Dear Paul,
>
> I think you could safely say that social security already is an indirect
> investment in the private sector. The money you pay in as an individual or
> that your employer matches are based on gross income up to $68,400 dollars.
> If the economy is healthy, and you are working and earning,then the more
> money that is going into the trust fund. The trust fund invests it surplus
> funds in special treasury bonds. This allows the federal government to spend
> money and buy or build things. Who do they buy from? The private sector of
> course. Thus pumping up the private sector. This is pretty sketchy, and,
> doesn't even address the demand created by social security recipints or
> government employees. as they spend their wages.
>
> Your email pal,

All well and good. But then, by the same logic a parking ticket is also an indirect investment in the private sector.

It's important to keep the big picture in mind, as you are arguing. But it's also important to keep specific terms clear and meaningful.

-- Paul Rosenberg Reason and Democracy rad at gte.net

"Let's put the information BACK into the information age!"