Dick Armey

Roger Odisio rodisio at igc.org
Mon Jan 25 09:53:32 PST 1999

At 03:03 PM 1/24/1999 -0500, Max Sawicky wrote:

>> No, Armey's "anti big government" rhetoric is not populism, if you accept
>> the notion that government (whatever its size) is, or can be, one of the
>> major organized forces that can stand in opposition to the imperatives of
>> transnational corporate capital. It is this opposition to capital by
>> government that Armey fights, and he does so by using standard
>> "free market" rhetoric. To the extent government plays such a role, e.g.,
>setting a
>> minimum wage, you can expect Armey to object. Those are not the
>> actions of a populist.
>
>Unfortunately opposition to big government and the national
>government has become a populist theme, whether we like
>it or not. This was not the case for populist movements of
>the 1930's and before then.
>
>On the other hand, the only trace of any sort of populism in
>Armey in particular is anti-government.

This is an odd use of the term "populist", Max. Are we to call general antigovernmet sentiments "populist" just because they are expressed, in one form or another, by lots of people? But without any reference to the *interests* of those people? Surely populism (at least the version of it that interests people here) must be defined as that which advances the interests of the great mass of us unwashed against the interests of capital and the few who control, and benefit from their control of, capital.

I repeat: Armey's antigovernment rhetoric is directed against the use of government to help people, when such action is in opposition to capital's interests (minimum wage, single payer health insurance, etc). He is for government action to protect and enhance capital's interest (war spending, prisons, etc.).

The fact that Armey, and Reagan, have had some success in getting people to repeat their slogan that "the guvmint is the problem" doesn't make what they say or do "populist". Nor does the fact that some government actions *are* stupid or reprehensible--and should be opposed--serve to make Armey's antigovernment rhetoric populist.

Armey is the antithesis of a populist; there is no "trace" of populism in him. And to approach him in the hopes of appealing to that nonexistent strain, as Henry suggests, is a complete waste of time.