That Obscure Object of Discipline (was lingua franca on "stars" in academia)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jan 25 14:39:20 PST 1999

d-m-c at worldnet.att.net wrote:

>I think that workers
>ought to be given just a little more credit than that and, afterall, isn't
>a worthwhile goal one in which work is understood for everyone as a source
>of joy (in the variety of ways one might experience such joy) Sn-wording
>at their delusions and implying some sort of hierarchy of real work/not
>real work that those philistine uncultcha'd folks just don't get is hardly
>the point is it?

I was just reading the Pew Center for People & the Press's latest examination of the American mind. Some rResults from a poll taken Jan 14-17:

"Please tell me whether you are satisfied or dissatisfied, on the whole, with the following aspects of your life:"

"your standard of living"

very satisfied 45%

somewhat satisfied 38

somewhat dissatisfied 12