That Obscure Object of Discipline (was lingua franca on "stars" in academia)

d-m-c at worldnet.att.net d-m-c at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jan 25 12:43:05 PST 1999

You know I'm kinda a divided consciousness about 'real' work v. 'not-so-real' work. And I completely agree with Yoshie's analysis here. There are some days when the thought of working in a kitchen pumping out pounds and pounds of food or mopping the floors/scrubbing toilets or waiting on some snotty shits from the Univoisity seems so much preferable than grading a zillion papers (me too, 110 yikes), putting on a cheery face and watching my every move at a fac meeting all the while keeping a rear guard for the backstabbing, and then being 'on' in front of students during class and office hours. And, then, bringing it all home b/c your work day really doesn't stop because how do you turn your brain off and the effects of all that emotion management reverberate endlessly sometimes. I am fairly certain that I feel I work harder than I used to--and there are some studies to suggest that this sort of mental/service/emotion labor is much more demanding than physical labor. HOWEVER, I guess I'd like to see just a wee bit less condescencion toward these folks and their deluded ideas about how academics have it so much easier than them. ("The English Dept. is now a symbol of what ordinary workers are denied: the chance to combine paid employment and hobby. Hard to believe, Jamie, but tenured English profs have become "that obscure object of desire."") I think that workers ought to be given just a little more credit than that and, afterall, isn't a worthwhile goal one in which work is understood for everyone as a source of joy (in the variety of ways one might experience such joy) Sn-wording at their delusions and implying some sort of hierarchy of real work/not real work that those philistine uncultcha'd folks just don't get is hardly the point is it?