Cop Shows & Althusser's Law (was Re: surplus and other stuff)

Liza Featherstone lfeather32 at erols.com
Mon Jan 25 14:47:54 PST 1999

I'm a bit addicited to these shows for some of the reasons you mention. I watch the Law & Order reruns late at night (they're on every night!). I'd add The Practice to the list too. However, I actually find them pretty right-wing. The liberals seem to have their mushy liberal ideals tested even more than the conservatives do, and there seems to be much more angst about letting a possibly guilty person escape justice than about punishing the innocent, tho there's a bit of both.And often when a black person is prosecuted the L&O DAs are agonizing about how "the black community" will react -- not a realistic obsession for most DAs offices I dont think. But it was cool on the Practice recently when they rejected that asbestos manufacturer client and explained why it was OK to reject bad corporate clients but you still had to represent street criminals even if you thought they were icky.

Liza