Springer

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 25 17:55:48 PST 1999

In message <3.0.1.32.19990125174628.0075fec4 at pop.mindspring.com>, pms <laflame at mindspring.com> writes

>Since you mentioned these true crime shows, I'd like to jump in and agree
>on that front. I have some loose web of thinking that puts these shows,
>and those wild animals killing each other shows, and even Jerry Springer,
>into a catagory I think of as, hmm, I've never named it, but it's the, See,
>humans are worthless, life is cheap, what's more, it's only natural that
>it's cheap cause that's the way nature is, so forget about fairness and
>justice and grow up shows. Know what I mean?

The thing that makes me throw up at Jerry Springer is the utter lack of any sense of privacy. I was thinking about it in respect of the current revenge book written by the British Foreign Secretary's former wife, about the break up of their marriage. Cook is a toad, but it only demeans her to expose the way that she was pushed around - and the rest of us for reading it.

There seems to be a symbiotic relationship between the compulsion to tell all, and those endless professionals who think it is a good thing to express yourself - however inadequately. Looking at this kind of confessional TV I'm compelled by the lack of boundaries between people's private lives and their public personas. I keep thinking 'where's your pride?' -- Jim heartfield