That Obscure Object of Discipline (was lingua franca on "stars" in academia)

d-m-c at worldnet.att.net d-m-c at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jan 25 20:00:35 PST 1999

>Hmm, or a frightened people putting on a happy face? Times are "good"
>and the memory of bad times looms large. I'd say this is like saying
>you are "satisfied" on a a tightrope 400 feet above the cement ---
>satisfied you aren't plummeting earthward.

And Dougster Baby these numbers what do they *mean* ferpity'sake?

Aren't those numbers pretty stable?

And doesn't the ideology of meritocratic individualism have much to do with this attitude: If I don't like my job it's my fault, so the best answer to give is that I like my job, otherwise sumpins wrong with me.