That Obscure Object of Discipline (was lingua franca on "stars" in academia)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Jan 26 08:15:43 PST 1999

>1. I wasn't saying shame on you, I was agreeing with you and asking you to
>tread a bit more carefully when you use 'workers' as somehow the ones who
>have problems with the humanities (seems to me a lot of professionals have
>a prob w/ the humanities too. You know what I mean and I won't elaborate)

No, no, no. 'Workers' is just a figure of speech in this game. I told you so. It's the ideology of professionalism/anti-professionalism that poses 'workers' as 'the ones who have problems with the humanities.' And this ideology basically helps the Right to worsen our working conditions and to make college education even less accessible to the working class (who aren't figures of speech). Get that? That's why you shouldn't waste time.

Yoshie