ok, ok, this is my last post

pms laflame at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 26 08:45:34 PST 1999

At 11:15 AM 1/26/99 -0500, you wrote:
>>1. I wasn't saying shame on you, I was agreeing with you and asking you to
>>tread a bit more carefully when you use 'workers' as somehow the ones who
>>have problems with the humanities (seems to me a lot of professionals have
>>a prob w/ the humanities too. You know what I mean and I won't elaborate)
>
>No, no, no. 'Workers' is just a figure of speech in this game. I told you
>so. It's the ideology of professionalism/anti-professionalism that poses
>'workers' as 'the ones who have problems with the humanities.' And this
>ideology basically helps the Right to worsen our working conditions and to
>make college education even less accessible to the working class (who
>aren't figures of speech). Get that? That's why you shouldn't waste time.
>
>Yoshie

This reminds me of last week when I was serveing lunch to this woman who's an administrative muckedy-muck at the local, giant, rich Catholic church, near the rest.

I used to word stoic, referring to her choice that day. Salad-only, water with lemon. She did a double-take. She hadn't recalled knowing that word, and Monsignor had used it last week, and now THE WAITRESS was using it. This woman graduated from college. Unlike many of my customers, who seem to enjoy my eclectic patter, she seems threatened. But then she's also desperately looking for a husband.

Yoshie, your statement about this ideology being used to attack the working class, is exactly what I mean when I mention the role of shows like Jerry Springer and those wild animals kill each other, why shouldn't we, shows. That's why I loved the Roseanne show. Working people with working-class problems and brains. Very rad.

*******BREAKTHROUGH DISCOVERY**********

A+P's America's Choice Fig Bars are waaaaaaaaaay better than Fig Newtons. Better cake, not so sweet, lots cheaper.