Specters of the 'Middle Class' (was That Obscure Object....)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Jan 26 13:04:31 PST 1999

Re: Carrol's reply to Kelley/Dingbat

Carrol wrote: "The rather passive-aggressive refusal of these lists to play that game and play it seriously is perhaps their greatest weakness.... Kelley is being obtuse (deliberately?) when she pretends that our shared knowledge of class in the United States (or Australia or France or India) is so clearcut that nothing needs to be 'spelled out'."

I think that specters of the 'middle class' are haunting our dismal exchange, as they poison left-wing discourse everywhere we go.

Maybe Kelley thinks that we college teachers are 'middle-class professionals' whereas I think that we--with the exception of stars--are objectively part of the working class doing service labor (mainly teaching + grading, while a minority of us get to do research + writing occasionally). Only in ideology are we 'middle-class professionals.' Maybe she doesn't think that but just writes as if she did.

Yoshie