stocks and GDP

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Thu Jan 28 07:01:53 PST 1999

Re Quincy's: "I think the whole discussion is preposterous. These questions should not be decided on this basis. It is not helpful for progressives to argue for or against corporate schemes for social security, unless arguing against them implies dismissing the entire frame of the discussion, and substituting another based entirely on different assumptions. NOBODY should be poor, hungry, homeless, etc. That's the basic assumption that should be made. NOBODY, no matter why, no matter what."

I couldn't agree more. Too many of the discussions on this list seem merely the mirror image of the overly abstracted nonsense I experience every day as a denizen of the corporate world. I think professional economists are the worst in this respect -- at the end of the day, even the lefties among them seem mainly concerned with how much social justice can we "afford."

Carl Remick