Beyond The Politics of Cancer Alone

William S. Lear rael at zopyra.com
Thu Jan 28 07:04:21 PST 1999

On Wed, January 27, 1999 at 15:26:44 (-0500) Doug Henwood writes:
>Paul Henry Rosenberg wrote:
>
>>First, "Chemicals Called Main Cause of Parkinson's Disease," which
>>points up the fact that cancer is not the only disease corporate
>>polluters are responsible for.
>
>Yeah, corps emit the toxins, but ordinary folks like you & me are the ones
>who use Saran Wrap, drive cars, run the a/c, etc. It's too easy just to
>blame the corps for the schmutz - it's the way we live our lives.

I gotta object here: like we have a @!#$!@# choice? The costs to individuals even to organize with other folks is huge. Consumer choice in this country is just a fantasy. Robin Hahnel's expositions on the immense problems with externalities makes it clear, to me, that market mechanisms practically *guarantee* a situation described above.

Bill