Specters of the 'Middle Class' (was That Obscure Object....)

Frances Bolton (PHI) fbolton at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Thu Jan 28 13:46:15 PST 1999

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Alec wrote:

> Are you referring to "trade" boys? Do you see this as a common phenom
> (seriously)? What would be the onus?

Trade boys=prostitutes, I assume? No, I was thinking about some boys I knew in Berkeley (and some here, actually) who are all leftists who have never had any sexual contact (as adults, anyway) with another boy, yet call themselves "bi" because they are "open to the possiblity of being w/another man." Most of them were involved in some kind of political work with people who were not straight white males, and I think they labeled themselves "bi" because they thought they needed some "marginalized" position from which to speak. In the 70s there were a large-ish number of women who adopted the lesbian label for political reasons, but at least they were having sex with other women.

Are you asking me about the prob. with being a straight white male? It's not really a problem, but it is politically incorrect, and these guys I'm talking about cared about that alot.

frances