Specters of the 'Middle Class' (was That Obscure Object....)

Frances Bolton (PHI) fbolton at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Thu Jan 28 15:09:59 PST 1999

"I mean, you probably always wanted to be a librarian, right?"

She looked at the crooked diagonals of his face and couldn't tell if he was serious. "Me?" she said. "I first went to graduate school to be an English professor...I read Derrida. I read Lacan. I read *Reading Derrida*. I read 'Reading *Reading Derrida*'--and that's when I applied to to library school." --"Community Life," Lorrie Moore

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Josh Mason wrote:

> > While I'm at it, I'll throw in those
> > middle class white boys who insist that they are bisexual so as to avoid
> > the onus of being straight white males.
>
> Isn't this more a straight girl rather than a straight boy thing? You know, four-year lesbians, LUGs? I even read an article in the Village Voice about it.
four-year-lesbians? I even read an article in the Village Voice about it.

Well, sure, there are grrrls who play this game, too. But the grrrls are at least having sex with other grrrls. I'm talking about boys who have never had another boy's tongue or cock in their mouth, much less their butt.

frances blithely going over the posting limit