Dildos and Def Furrals

pms laflame at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 28 18:23:03 PST 1999

>I find it fascinating, and no doubt revealing in ways that I can't yet
>understand, that people criticize Butler & the posties in general for being
>both obscure and nothing new. (And not just separate groups of people - the
>same individuals have made both charges, some of them right here in this
>list.) In both cases, it seems like an anxiety is defused through a
>dismissal: either they're incomprehensible (perhaps deliberately so) or
>irrelevant.

What Butler is talking about is not new. What's new is that it is being considered. Defined. It's a road to freedom. It needs to be articulated and brought into consciousness for the masses. No road blocks. No gate keepers. It's too important to be used as, well, who knows what motivates her to use the kind of language she uses. Even if her audience is mostly other academics, it's like she's helping to freeze this liberateing discourse in some closed pomo universe. That's her right, but IMO, it's not to be applauded.

(I'm talking about viewing the human condition, in general. I'd have had to read that lesbian paragraph a few more times to get a clue what she was getting at, though I think it's related to how I feel about folks having their genitals removed or their breasts blown up. I didn't think it was worth it. Reading, blowing, removing.)

About those USA accounts. I need one. One of the reasons I'm dissatisfied with my job is no access to tax deferred saving, beyond IRA. Though I havn't totally dropped my crusade at work. It may not be defined benefits, but it's better than no benefits at all.

goodbye forever if Doug's gonna be real mad

sniff,sniff-p, painfully aware of my list crimes.

ps. Who will dominate neighborhood radio?