Duke University and the dog next door

pms laflame at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 30 07:46:32 PST 1999

Morning Rob,

Didn't expect to be up this early, but the people who bought the house next door(young, snotty, brain workers, I believe) have left their Doberman puppy tied up and tortured in their back yard, while the house is being prepared for their arrival. Poor creature woke me up yeowling, so I went over and gave him some food. The other morning, he had his head stuck in a plastic gallon milk carton, for god knows how long, probably trying to get water. They have picked the wrong place to torture an animal. Left a note on their door. If I don't see improvement, that dog is going to be gone. He's very sweet and adoptable. I'm sure some nice people would love to have him.

Who are you referring to below. I know that's probably a dumb question.

>'Pessimism of the intellect; optimism of the will', as
>a bent, sick, old-before-his-time, little man once advised, whilst
>languishing in a Fascist prison cell ...

And-
>We are, it seems to me, in the throes of joining the very dots we traversed
>between 1928 and 1941. Ya want excess capacity ... underconsumption ...
>incipient fascism amongst the economically desperate but militarily
>powerful ... nascent imperialist belligerence? We got it.

I'm glad someone else sees this formation taking place. I was beginning to wonder for my sanity. But I'm curious, why the '41 cut-off? When did US get in war? Was it 41?

>Seems pretty true and reasonable to me - and just the sort of thing that
>might make people think about the structurally fundamental nature of what
>ails us, I reckon.

Maybe in Australia. In the US, they'd probably support a permanent war state, out of annoyance at having their shopping and sports interrupted.

Sleepy, grouchy and in a daze. Paula