Dear Doug & Max

Peter Kilander peterk at enteract.com
Sat Jan 30 16:15:02 PST 1999

I have a lot of respect for Doug and Max and hope my post didn't suggest otherwise. I had thought that both were of the opinion the East Asian crisis was over, over as far as it being a threat to the West. I tend to think if things get really bad, governments will put up protectionist walls.

Max said:
>I mean that speculation as to the End of Days is not
>very useful. It dovetails with political perspectives
>that premise insurgency on economic collapse, and
>that's weak. Thus in my view it is not a productive type
>of politics. It's can act as a crutch for those with untenable
>politics or as a pseudo-radical excuse to abstain from politics.
>Of course, if anybody really believes the collapse is coming,
>then they should start stocking up on canned food and get
>fitted for his-and-hers biohazard suits.

I'll begin to worry about the Y2K bug only when a CNN reporter comes on TV to tell me that something quite strange has happened - the Russian and Chinese establishments have gone underground and haven't left a note as to why. Did anyone else hear that the Chinese are saying all of their airline execs will be up in the air when the digits turn to 2000 to ensure nothing goes wrong?