marc cooper and the nation

Tom Lehman TLEHMAN at lor.net
Sat Jan 30 20:06:09 PST 1999

Dear LBOers,

The Nation is the best liberal-labor-left magazine in the country. Every issue has at least two or three stories in it that I find intensely interesting and enlightening. Now the Nation does have some stories and some authors that I don't get. For example Patricia Williams Diary of a Mad Law Professor. During the time she has been writing a column for the Nation I can recall one memorable story by her. It concerned juvenile crime and punishment. Aside from that I think the Mad Law Professor has been a waste of space in the Nation. Her latest story that includes an attack on the Serbians and is a real piece of lynch law justice.

Then there's Robert Borosage. Not the worst guy in the world. Sort of like a French version of Michael Kinsley. At least he doesn't have a high pitched voice like Michael.

That brings us down to Eric Alterman. A lot of people on this list I know from past experience don't have a lot of use for Eric. I too am sort of suspicious of guys named Eric. Present company excluded, Eric.

Now for the grand finale. There's Mrs. Steve Cohen and I use this form of address in deference to Mr. Steve Cohen a guy I got a lot of respect for. Now I understand Katrina Cohen's family made a lot of money in the movies and Katrina understands the high level political stuff. The other night Katrina was on Radio Nation with Marc Cooper talking about organizing progressive alternatives to the current political situation. This is all well and good, but, I don't think Katrina really gets the mechanics of what it would take at the state and local level.

Your email pal,

Tom L.