Another Famous Black Goalie

Marco Anglesio mpa at the-wire.com
Thu Jul 15 12:55:30 PDT 1999

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999 JayHecht at aol.com wrote:
> So - am I wrong, or did a gentleman named GRANT FUHR win the Stanley Cup for
> Edmonton??????? And has anyone pointed out that there is a Nigerian
> defenseman playing for the New York Rangers (of course he may have already

I recall mentioning that to my partner, and she didn't even know that Grant Fuhr was black. However, yes, he's black, and he's still around, starting for the St. Louis Blues last season. Six times an NHL All-Star, once winner of the Vezina Trophy, once winner of the William M. Jennings Trophy. And either three or four Stanley Cups. Not bad for a twenty-odd year career.

There are a number of black players in professional hockey, actually. It seems that the NHL has slowly become integrated without anyone noticing.

m.