Monbiot on GM foods

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Fri Jul 16 07:08:07 PDT 1999

> What we need are techniques that require less labour. For me
> that is a
> fairly basic measure of "progress". Peasant agriculture is a
> tough life,
> certainly nothing to be celebrated.

It's a mistake to romanticize peasant life. But in focusing on the labor-intensive aspect of the natural methods Monbiot favors to increase agricultural productivity, you ignore the positive aspect of the trade-off he posits, viz: "[These methods] require lots of labour, *no debt,* and *no help from predatory corporations.*" Not being in thrall to debt and predatory corporations can outweigh the burden of manual labor.

> >His column today (text follows) makes a number of interesting points
> >also, questioning whether field testing of GM crops really can be
> >conducted without contaminating other plant life:
> >

> He questions and speculates, but does he give a definite answer?

No, Monbiot doesn't give a definite answer. That's his very point. GM-food advocates are constantly oozing assurances about the safety of their technology when no one knows for certain what the long-range effects of this technology will be.

> Is there something in
> about genetic
> engineering technology which makes it qualitatively "more
> hostile" to nature
> than every other tool that humanity has ever developed?

Potentially yes.

> Dyson is a hugely
> respected scientist and visionary

I tried reading Dyson many years ago and thought he was a complete wacko -- a parody of a mad scientist.

Carl