KPFA

mike mikepf at flash.net
Fri Jul 16 10:06:34 PDT 1999

I listened to KPFA for a few moments this morning to hear a repeat of a talk by Alex Cockburn on his book on drugs and the CIA. Originally broadcast last fall. Also broadcast yesterday afternoon when I tuned in.

A good talk; an important issue. Would do well to be broadcast again and again. Made me think that however destructive their tactics and narrow their perspectives, the Pacifica board can still lay a claim to being progressive even though it may not be my style or the uncompromising style of others on this list. In the prerecorded broadcasts, they do permit Cockburn to attack the CIA, Angela Davis to attack racism, Gloria Steinem to attack sexism. Much better than NPR, CNN, ABC, whatever. More interesting to me than any kind of soccer talk no matter how radically chic.

So once again the the left is fighting itself over a tiny piece of turf. Squabbling amongst itself and studiously avoiding any strategic thinking. The real issue is the domination of the public's airwaves by mindless, exploitative commercial shit and the perversion of the FCC's charter. The left should be looking at radical strategies to expand the extent of alternative media. But I understand the attraction of bickering--keep the emotional level high, keep yourself immersed in bad feelings about nearly everybody else in society and take no real risks.

Mike Ferro Oakland