KPFA

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jul 16 13:57:13 PDT 1999

mike wrote:

>A good talk; an important issue. Would do well to be broadcast again and
>again. Made me think that however destructive their tactics and narrow their
>perspectives, the Pacifica board can still lay a claim to being progressive
>even though it may not be my style or the uncompromising style of others on
>this list. In the prerecorded broadcasts, they do permit Cockburn to attack
>the CIA, Angela Davis to attack racism, Gloria Steinem to attack sexism.
>Much better than NPR, CNN, ABC, whatever.

This is certainly filler, not to demean Alex C or Angela D (the CIA-friendly Steinem is more along the lines of Pacifica's future). They've locked out the regular programmers and have to ransack the closets for taped stuff the locked-out producers made. This is not what they want to do with the stations over the long term.

>More interesting to me than any
>kind of soccer talk no matter how radically chic.

Soccer's part of life, isn't it?

Doug