Addendum to sport and death

Tom Lehman TLEHMAN at lor.net
Fri Jul 16 13:15:58 PDT 1999

This is the way these things go. Here in Lorain County Ohio we are experiencing white tax flight from neighboring Cuyahoga County(Cleveland). Everybody loves pro-sports nobody wants to pay for them; so they vote with their feet and move to a lower tax area. This will only result in tax increases here to pay for the infrastructure to support these tax refugees. More good farmland, vineyards and orchards will be torn up to build mini-estates for the yuppie-beeper-cell phone crowd.

Water quality in Lake Erie has been improving over the years. Now I see it turning a corner and going downhill again. Outrages like the destruction of wetlands and the central Lorain County watershed in the name of a turnpike exit at State Route 58 will have a negative impact on Lake Erie because that is where the water run-off and sewage etc. from the development of this area will end up.

If you or anyone else would like to send a couple of lines to the fellow who is taking comments on this issue you can email patrick.gallaway at epa.state.oh.us or you can visit the Ohio EPA site and send your comments to whomever you like---be sure and mention Tom Harcarik who is in charge of public comments. http://www.epa.state.oh.us/

Just because you don't live in Ohio don't let this stop you. Mention that you like to fish, swim, boat etc in Lake Erie and you are concerned about the turnpike interchange damaging water quality in Lake Erie. You could also mention the destruction of wetlands and the sprawl to be created in this environmentally sensitive area.

A couple of lines of email would be a big help,

Tom Lehman