Lefty athletes and the baseball players union (was: Another Famous Black Goalie)

Roger Odisio rodisio at igc.org
Sat Jul 17 08:13:06 PDT 1999

Max B. Sawicky wrote:

>Startling as it may seem, no golfer radicals,
>I'm sorry to say.

Such sarcasm, Max. Most pro golfers either still come through the country club system or are quickly assimilated into it and are taught to act accordingly--notable exceptions Lee Trevino (his public course exploits are part of his media mystique precisely because they're unique) and some of the non-US players like Seve Ballesteros, Chi Chi Rodrigues and Jose Maria Olezabol. From country clubs to untoward wealth, yes, it is indeed surprising that these guys would think Clinton was a radical lefty. Norman, btw, a while back had some harsh words for Clinton, the taxer of the rich. But Willie's affability and jock sniffing won him over. That and the fact the both realized that what they had in common as elites far exceeded any differences they had over small things like public policy.

Interesting to note that metro DC, the bastion of toadies for capitalism, has virtually no public golf courses to speak of. Except for Langston, built inside the city for blacks during the '30s cause they had no other place that would admit them. That's still its main function. When I played there, white faces were very rare, except for the guy I was playing with.

In any case, Congress and the elites have simply built a network of private courses for their enjoyment; the hell with the riff-raff. That always struck me: in what is supposed to be the most public of cities--the national capital--it is only the private interests of the "public servants" and their sycophants that matter. Just in case anyone doubted that general principle about our political/economic system. This point could be expanded to discuss the deterioration of all public services within DC itself, about which the politicos and elites care little--presumably not until they think the dismal conditions may affect their tranquility.