Lefty athletes and the baseball players union (was: Another Famous Black Goalie)

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Sat Jul 17 12:23:23 PDT 1999

>Startling as it may seem, no golfer radicals,
>I'm sorry to say.

Such sarcasm, Max. Most pro golfers either still come through the country club system or are quickly assimilated into it and are taught to act accordingly . . .

There has been a clutch of pro golfers whose parents were associated w/golf course or country club employment, right from the beginning of the sport -- Arnie Palmer to name one.

Interesting to note that metro DC, the bastion of toadies for capitalism, has virtually no public golf courses to speak of. Except for Langston, built inside the city for blacks during the '30s cause they had no other place that would admit them. That's still its main function. When I played there, white faces were very rare, except for the guy I was playing with.

There's also Hains Point and Rock Creek Park, tho I don't know if they used to have exclusionary policies or not. One wouldn't expect a lot of golf courses inside a city proper. It's true that further out is a bit impoverished, at least to the north where I live.

As for the toadies bit, I'd suggest DC is a bastion of folks who see fit to push the system further away from laissez-faire. For lack of a national government, the several policies of the states would be much more of a source of criticism.

mbs