Captive Nations Week

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Mon Jul 19 11:30:01 PDT 1999

Max Sawicky wrote:

> The global market abhors the elevation of national
> sovereignty over international capital, especially
> in cases where expressions of nationhood threaten
> to destabilize existing commercial relationships.

Can't see why. There is no reason to think that ever smaller national units will be less suceptible to domination by capital. Quite the opposite.

In general I'd agree. On the other hand, a well-defined, capital-hostile enclave gaining independence could be more of a nuisance than it remaining embedded in a larger, capital-congenial nation. Plus there is the more basic disruption I alluded to.

mbs