Rwanda/Bosnia article

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jul 19 13:30:46 PDT 1999

Maureen Therese Anderson wrote:

>Michael wrote:
>
> >> A propos, for a superb account of press coverage on Rwanda, see "The
> >> Inscription of Difference: News Coverage of the Conflicts in Rwanda and
> >> Bosnia," Political Geography 15(1):21-46, 1996, by Garth Myers,
>et. al. (It
> >> can be also read online at
> >> http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/09626298, just click on the
> >> appropriate issue).
> >
> >I'd love to read it, but you seem to need to be a member. Could you post
> >it?
>
>Strange. It's been a while since I went to the site, and I remember it was
>a cyber-journal format I'd never seen before. But at that time you
>definitely didn't have to be a subscriber simply to read or print out the
>article. I remember though that it didn't seem to allow you to download
>it. (However, as you know I have a reverse Midas-touch with cyber-techno
>things, so I had been hoping it was just my incompetence.)
>
>Unfortunately I don't have a scanner for submitting my own dead-tree
>version. If the site really is inaccesible I will try to track down the
>author and see if he can send it to me as an attachment. It really is a
>useful article.

It's a large (1.8 megs) Acrobat file; the reason it's so big is they scanned the pages as graphics, rather than outputting formatted text. I snagged a copy, and in about 5 minutes it'll be hidden on the LBO website, with no public links, at <http://www.panix.com/~dhenwood/Rwanda_Bosnia.pdf>. It's not going to be there more than a day or two, though, to avoid the copyright police.

Doug