John-John, RIP

Steve Perry sperry at usinternet.com
Wed Jul 21 12:02:12 PDT 1999

Alex wrote:

Christ, all the fawning makes one wonder if people truly want to be free.

It's no wonder that for the past quarter century or so Leftists have been looking to the Third World for liberation struggles. Apart from a few brave labor and black liberation fighters, this country is full of snivellers.

------

I'm sometimes tempted to conclude that the country is full of snivellers, too, but I can't help wondering if that sense isn't the creation of the media. Impossible to tell definitively, but I have no sense that "the people" really care about the latest Kennedy pageant (and the first in some time, really--you couldn't do much by way of bathos with Mr. Skis Into Trees) beyond their evanescent interest in the immediate gory details. (Personally, I think there is no way a 50-mph crash into the ocean is going to yield intact corpses, by the way; on the bright side, that means they yet find John-John's head, as it will surely float.)